Wow Lana. I can’t believe all the things you do. You are a mother with a busy career, you do advocacy work, live with two chronic conditions and you manage to keep it all together. How do you do it? I would love to know your secret!
While I appreciate that many people view me as this calm, cool, and an all together superwoman type who can juggle the world on her shoulders, seeing someone else say it felt kind of overwhelming. I didn’t realize that is how people see me so I asked a couple friends and even co-worker and they agreed that they saw me as such. I thought it would make sense to clear the air and any misconceptions that I seem to present here.
While you may see me as this supermom type,
This is really who I am.
- I am unorganized, emotionally challenged and incapable of ever getting my point across. Sometimes, no matter how loud I scream (BTW, I am a screamer) at my husband and kids, they can’t hear me.
- I cry at a drop of a hat and sometimes, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry and that can drive my family crazy.
- I hold grudges longer than I should even when I know forgiveness might be less stressful for me. See number 1.
- My home is clean but don’t you dare open my closets and actually, I worry about you opening my closets. See number 1.
- I am working on a master’s degree and maintaining a 4.0 not because I am smart but because I am deathly afraid of failure. The reason I went into the legal field is because I knew I would be successful there. I can barely balance my checkbook and my husband is always yelling at me about overdraft fees. I scheduled my driving test four times before I finally had the courage to take it.
- I am a control freak and I am obsessive about getting things done right away and not putting them off which absolutely drives my husband crazy. I am impatient and I don’t always know how to delegate. See number 1.
- I am so tough that I can be emotionless. See numbers 1 to 3.
- I am type A person who is driven and sometimes, I put more pressure on people in my life than I should and I don’t always know when to back off which gets me in a whole lot of trouble.
- I am crappy driver but if you tell me that while you are sitting in the passenger seat, be prepared to walk. Just ask my sister.
- I love my kids so much that I worry about the craziest things and sometimes, it keeps me from letting my kids be kids. Just ask my ten year old.
- My husband banned me from watching the news because well, see number 2.
- I hate shopping. Because of that, either I shop online or do my research before going into the store. To me, going shopping is like taking a hike so I have to plan accordingly.
- I am a planner and I plan for things weeks in advance and don’t you dare ruin the plan. Just ask my husband.
Now, that I have cleared the air, the reason I appear to be able to do it all is because of all the things mentioned above. In other words, I am pretty good at faking it.
If you look at look at numbers 12 and 13, you notice that I do a lot planning and shopping online. In fact, one of my favorite websites is CSN stores. These guys have over 200 online stores and literally billions of products. If you are searching for briefcases, barstools, coffee tables, holiday décor, toys, or anything you can think of, you have to check these guys out! With the holidays approaching, and the fact that I hate shopping and that I have to plan every aspect of my life, I need a website like CSN stores to appear calm and collected.
Just so everyone knows, I responded to the person who sent this email and told her about this post. She thought it was funny that I didn’t see myself as everyone else did. Did you really think that I was as she described? How about now?