When I sat down to prepare this list, I thought I was only have seven to ten things I have learned because of my health, but the ideas just kept coming. Apparently, I have gained an immense amount of knowledge and understanding since my diagnoses. Moreover, I definitely take much better care of myself since my diagnoses and I have learned what to let go of things that are not in my control.
Without further ado, I have learned:
1. Not to take my health for granted
2. That I am my best advocate and that no one knows my body better than I do.
3. That I am much stronger mentally than I was prior to my diagnosis.
4. That understanding and compassion goes a long away.
5. That Everything is in God’s control.
6. There are things that are in my control: what I feel, my hopes, my dreams, my goals, and my responses.
7. To ask and accept help from others
8. Self-pity is okay, as long as you do not let it consume you.
9. Life still goes on whether I am up for it or not.
10. Taking my medications, vitamins and supplements is mandatory.
11. There is power in prayer.
12. That perfection is something I must let go of.
13. To look and listen and realize that I am not the only one with difficulties and limitations.
14. That I must pace myself. Pushing myself forces my conditions to push back and makes me feel weaker and sicker.
15. To let go of the “should haves” and “what-ifs” and to stop dwelling on the past.
What have you learned since your diagnosis/diagnoses?